Going camping in a trailer is incredibly fun but you need to make sure you have the right size trailer for your needs. Therefore, the best way to choose a camping trailer is to first understand your recreational goals, such as how often you plan on traveling and what kind of environments you like to visit. After you’ve done this, ensure that your tow vehicle can pull a trailer safely under weighted conditions, then visit an RV show where you can see multiple models in one place.
Part1: Choosing a Trailer Style
1Choose a lightweight tent-style trailer if you’ll be traveling in summer. If you plan on traveling only in warmer climates, then a more lightweight trailer is probably the best option for you. They are cheaper and also tend to be much easier to move around.
- These types of trailers are great for summer as they are really open and have lots of ventilation to keep temperatures down.
- Buying a lightweight trailer can save you a lot of money up front. There isn’t really a need for an insulated campervan-style trailer if you’ll be primarily traveling in warm climates so look at light options to get the best value for money.
- Many of these trailers that can handle harsh winters are on the more expensive end of the spectrum so you may have to be prepared to spend a little bit more.
- These campervan-style trailers usually have driving capabilities inside them.
- These trailers are ideal if you plan on moving around a lot in your trailer rather than staying in one location. With other trailers, you have to set up your campsite from scratch each time you move location.
- These trailers are sometimes more commonly known as “campervans.”
- If you don’t plan on taking your trailer to many locations on each trip, a towable trailer might be a more suitable option as these are usually much cheaper.
- Buying a trailer that is too heavy to be towed by your vehicle is a complete waste of money and also very dangerous as you may find yourself broken down in the middle of nowhere if you try towing it.
- It’s important to find a trailer somewhere in the middle of your needs as the last thing you want is a trailer that is far too large or too small for your purposes.
- Most trailers will have a maximum number of people that they can facilitate for sleeping purposes. Make sure you factor this number in when thinking about what size you are going to buy.
Please continue to Next Page (>) for the full Article